Who is Rama?
Rama is an incarnation or(seventh) avatar of the Hindu God Vishnu.
Rama avatar is taken by the Lord Vishnu in Treta Yuga to destroy the evil forces and uphold the dharma on earth.
Now we are living in Kali Yuga.Yuga means era.Era is the time period and the length of each yuga is many billion years.In Hinduism,one yuga cycle is divided into four yugas namely Satya Yuga, Treta Yuga, Dwapar Yuga and Kali Yuga.
Like cycle (summer,winter,autumn,rainy) of seasons repeat,this yuga cycle also repeats sequentially.
Rama avatar is a guidance for human beings on righteous living.
In this avatar,God himself born on earth as human being,lived and showed us how a man should live following dharma ,morals and virtues in all times of life inspite of hardship faced.
Rama is the epitome of moral excellence.He is the man of virtues.He is the embodiment of love and kindness.
Lord Rama ruled Ayodhya with justice,happiness,peace and prosperity.His rule is popularly known as Rama Rajya and even today his rule is said to be the example of the ideal rule.
Rama is referred as Maryada Purushottama which means perfect man.
He is the paradigm of t,he ideal man,ideal son,ideal brother,ideal husband,ideal king and ideal friend.
This Supreme hero(Rama's) life is written in Ramayana consisting of 24000 verses in seven kandas(books).
Seven Kandas of Ramayana
1) Bala Kanda - This book is about birth,childhood of Rama and his marriage to Sita.
2) Ayodhya Kanda - This book is about the joyous of the city and the arrangements for Rama's coronation and his exile into the forest.
3) Aranya Kanda - This book is about the Rama's life in forest and abduction of his wife Sita by Ravana.
4) Kishkindha Kanda - This book is about the Rama's meeting of Hanuman,his destruction of monkey king Vali and Sugriva's coronation as king of Kishkindha.
5) Sundara Kanda - This book is about the adventures of Hanuman and his travel to Lanka and meeting of Sita.It is the beautiful kanda in this story with happy news after the abduction of Sita.It is believed that the miseries of anyone reading "Sundara Kanda" will be removed.
6) Yuddha Kanda - This book is about the war between Rama and demon king Ravana's army,victory of Rama,Agni Pravesha of Sita to prove her chastity,Rama's Pattabhishekam.
7) Uttara Kanda - This book is about the banishment of Sita,birth of Rama's twin sons Lava and Kusha and their coronation as Ayodhya's king,Rama's depart from the world.
24000 verses in Ramayana and 24 syllables of Gayathri Mantra
Gayathri Mantra is a powerful mantra consisting of 24 syllables.At the beginning of every 1000 verses in Ramayana,a syllable of Gayathri Mantra is placed by the sage Valmiki.
Chanting Gayathri Mantra is a prayer to Sun God,who guides our intellect and helps us in taking right decisions.
Keeping this in mind,sage Valmiki devised Ramayana using this powerful syllables of Gayathri Mantra.
So whoever reading Ramayana will get the blessings of Sun God and would develop a good intellect which would in turn help them in taking right decisions in life.
Ramayana is a story with full of moral values and we need more intellect and God's blessings to understand the good message conveyed.
In this story Ravana because of his lust in mind,he had a bad ending.
Don't be driven by your mind's whims and fancies which may carry good and bad thoughts.Use your intellect before taking decisions.
Ravana never followed dharma and so his life became complicated and ended badly.
Life will be without complications if we follow dharma.
We cannot be 100% free from problems because there is ups and downs even in Rama's(God) life.
Everyone like Rama must learn to control their senses and use their mind with intellect without giving up dharma to win hardships in life.
It is a wonderful book with all life lessons.
Reading Ramayana brings positive changes in life and it is a very good book for pregnant women to read during pregnancy time.It is believed that reading or listening to such a high moral book will create a good positive influence on the character of the baby.